We had to see it coming. With what seems like every restaurant touting their farm-to-table practices, it was inevitable that farm fresh cocktails would become the next BIG THING behind the bar. Next time you’re cruising your local farmers market, keep an eye out for produce that can double for dinner and a cocktail! We love a good duel purpose jalapeño – spicy tacos AND a jalapeño infused marg. Can you say #twoforone?!
Since we’re smack dab in the middle of the summer growing season I decided to make a weekly farmers market cocktail and share it with all of you!
This week’s cocktail was inspired by the kids I ran into on my walk to the market who had set up a lemonade stand. I gladly paid the 50 cents for a dixie cup of sour water (they forgot the sugar). The kids asked me how I liked it. I really wanted to tell them it was terrible and needed a hit of vodka to balance everything out – but I don’t play like that. Instead, I picked up some fresh citrus and lavender sprigs for an adult version of lemony goodness that I like to call “Mama’s Lavender Lemonade”.
Lavender Simple Syrup:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 sprigs of lavender
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 4 oz vodka, chilled
- Make the Simple Syrup by combining the sugar and water in a pot on the stove and bring to a boil. Cook only until the sugar is dissolved. Add lavender and allow to cool completely; stirring occasionally.
- Strain your lavender simple syrup into a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add the lemon juice and vodka.
- Shake until cold.
- Fill cocktail glass with ice and pour through a strainer into a cocktail glass.
- Garnish with lavender sprigs.